Thousands of people across the UK require medical oxygen treatment at home – and this number is rising every year.
Respiratory conditions such as COPD are increasing, and with the coronavirus pandemic, the potential long-term impact of Covid-19 is underlying the importance of effectively managing respiratory conditions in the home with medical oxygen.
Recently, AMS Composite Cylinders was involved in the creation of a new guidance note document for the British Compressed Gases Association (BCGA), as part of our work on the BCGA Technical Sub-Committee 7 – Medical Gases.
Entitled Medical Gases – The Management Of Medical Oxygen In Domiciliary Use, the new document provides a wealth of information on the supply of medical oxygen for homecare use. In addition, it highlights the actions that need to be taken in the unlikely event that there is an incident involving medical oxygen.
The Guidelines at a Glance
The Guidelines cover a wide range of topics to help gas suppliers make the right decisions when it comes to providing medical oxygen to patients at home.
- General Requirements – providing an overview of the best practices and minimum requirements relating to licensing, equipment, transport and risk assessments.
- Hazard and Risk Assessment – looking at the main hazards and risks, and the safety precautions that need to be followed.
- Fire Incidents – outlining the requirements in terms of creating a fire action plan and detailing the immediate actions that need to be taken in the case of fire.
- Potential Incidents, Risk and Action – including a useful table listing the potential incidents and risks, how to recognise them and what to do to mitigate them.
- Summary Use Charts – summarising the safe use of medical oxygen in the home environment.
- Security – offering guidance on the secure storage of medical gas cylinders and associated equipment to deter thieves without increasing the risk of fire.
You can read the Guidance Note 29 – Medical Gases – The Management of Medical Oxygen in Domiciliary Use in its entirety here.
Medical Oxygen Cylinders from AMS Composite Cylinders
AMS Composite Cylinders supplies state of the art, lightweight gas cylinders for a wide range of healthcare, homecare, breathing gas and medical gas applications. We support clients across the UK, Europe, the Middle East and Latin America, providing industry leading quality, reliable service and short lead times.
Producing cylinders to a wide range of recognised global standards, we hold accreditations in all major markets worldwide. We manufacture to ISO and EN standards (including ISO-11119-2, ISO 7666, ISO 11118 and EN12245) and to the requirements of UN PED/TPED, DOT (USA) and TC (Canada).
For additional information AMS Composite Cylinders, our medical gas cylinders and our accreditations, please contact us today.